Tales of Xillia 2
|Tales of Xillia 2|
|Developer||Bandai Namco Games|
|Publisher||Bandai Namco Games|
Kosuke Fujishima, Mutsumi Inomata and Daigo Okumura
|Release Date|| JP November 1st, 2012|
NA August 19, 2014
EU August 22, 2014
|Preceded by||Tales of Xillia|
|Succeeded by||Tales of Zestiria|
Tales of Xillia 2 is a game produced and developed by Bandai Namco Games exclusively for the Playstation 3 console, initially released on November 1, 2012 in Japan and will later be released on August 19, 2014 in North America and August 22, 2014 in Europe. Xillia 2 will serve as the fourteenth Tales of game in the main core series of mothership titles.
The game takes place following the events of Tales of Xillia and the unification of Reize Maxia and Elympios. The game follows the protagonist, Ludger Will Kresnik as he destroys alternate timelines to keep the world in balance, using the special ability granted to the Kresnik family, in order to help Origin, who can no longer support the growing number of spirits.
The game takes place a year after Tales of Xillia. The beginning of the game has Elle Mel Marta sent on a quest by her father to search for the fabled Land of Canaan. However before her journey really begins the train she is boarding gets hijacked before leaving its station. Protagonist Ludger Will Kresnik boards the train and tries to save Elle from the bandits. Unfortunately the train crashes causing Ludger to under-go medical treatment for his wounds at the Spirus Corporation which put him in debt. Spirus, aware of the Kresnik family ability to destroy alternate timelines, offer him a job to pay off the money he owes, contracting him to use his abilities to help Origin keep the growing number of spirits under control. During his quest Ludger also seeks out his brother, Julius Will Kresnik, who he believes has been unfairly framed for the train hijacking. Meanwhile, elsewhere, the characters of Tales of Xillia have moved on with their lives but as Ludger continues on his quest he comes across these characters who get thrown back in an adventure they left only a year before.
The game takes place primarily in two main location types; the field and the battle screens. During times in the field map you will be able to explore a fully rendered 3D map of both Reize Maxia and Elympios. Whilst traversing these maps on foot, skits with play at various intervals which involve animated character portraits, voice acting and subtitles with the content varying from anything such as important story plots or character information.
 Battle System
During battle sequences, players will fight enemies in a 3D representation of the map area the player located the enemy, and will fight them using Cross Dual Raid Linear Motion Battle System (or CD-RLMBS for short). Each battle can have a maximum of 4 characters, each of which can be switched out to any benched member of the party at any time during the battle sequence. Players can only control one character on the battlefield at anytime and thus each of the other three characters in-battle will be controlled by the game's AI - which can be set by the player beforehand via the tactics for each playable character. For example you can set a character to focus mainly on the use of artes, to use an Orange Gel when MP gets below 20%, and to remain on the back line of the battle formation. Tactics can also be applied for the whole team.
The "Action Counter" (AC) number that appears beside each characters name and HP and MP stats indicates the amount of skills and actions a character can perform. AC can be recharged over time in battle. "Technical Points" (TC) indicate skill usage in battle. The more powerful the skill the more TP is required to perform it, as such each Arte/Skill has a denoted TP requirement, ranging anything from 1 TP to use to 4 TP and higher.
Characters can link up with other characters on the battlefield to perform special attack combinations known as Link Artes. These can be used when the Gauge reaches certain points in its charge. Once the gauge fills all the way up the character can opt to use a Mystic Arte or use a variety of Linked Artes in quick succession. Each waypoint on the gauge before it is filled gives the capacity for only one linked arte, a full gauge allows the capacity to use as many as possible before it returns to empty.
Playing as the main character, Ludger, grants the players an addition battle ability to switch weapons, choosing between dual guns, dual swords and a hammer.
 Leveling Characters
Similar to the character leveling system that appeared in Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xilliz 2 uses the Allium Orb -- as opposed to the Lillium Orb used in Xillia. Using items called Elemental Cores, players can apply them to the Allium orb by use of the Absorber. Each Elemental Core is representative of the six elements on the Allium Orb; Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Light and Dark. Depending on the Absorber used the Elemental Core will provide a statistical boost to one of those 6 elements on the Orb. As each elements becomes stronger, more artes will be available for the character to use.
Elemental Cores can be found randomly by enemy drops and harvest points.
- For the full cast of characters, see: Category:Characters (Xillia 2)
- Ludger Will Kresnik - Ludger is on his first day of a new job when he discovers that his brother, Julius, is missing. Out on a mission to find him he gets caught up in a train hijacking resulting in him needing medical treatment from the Spirus Corporation. Unable to pay off the debt for the medical expenses he agrees to go on a mission for them to help Origin control the growing number of spirits using a special ability granted to the Kresnik family - Chromatus, and in the process, helping Elle find the mythical Land of Canaan.
- Elle Mel Martha - An excitable young girl who is on her way to Trigleph when her father asks her to seek out the Land of Canaan. Before her journey begins her father dies protecting her from men wishing to hijack the train she is boarding. She meets up with Ludger Kresnik and the two embark on a journey to save the world and to find Canaan, a land that can make anyone's wish come true.
- Julius Will Kresnik - the older brother to Ludger Will Kresnik, he goes missing on the first day of Ludger's new job. Working for the Clanspia Corporation as an agent he is believed to have been the man behind the hijacking of the train Elle was on. Ludger begins his search for his brother to discover the truth.
- Jude Mathis - A year following the events of Tales of Xillia have allowed Jude Mathis to grow up. The immaturity of his youth is past him and has taken on a great many responsibilities since Milla became Maxwell, Lord of Spirits. He went back to Medical School continue his studies, after he graduated he joined a research grouping studying the Great Spirit, Origin.
- Milla Maxwell - Since becoming the Lord of Spirits and defeating Exodus at the age of Six, Milla has lost the power to summon the Four Great Spirits and now is all but Human. She now remains in Nia Khera with her twin sister and Muzét, the Great Spirit and her older 'sister.'
- Alvin - Alvin is a struggling businessman from a well-to-do family in Elympios. He is no longer a double-agent for Exodus and is loyal to those he calls friend. He is still trying to forge stronger relationships with people.
- Leia Rolando - Leia decided the calling of a Nurse wasn't for her so she quit her job and started travelling through Reize Maxia and Elympios to find herself, eventually leading her to currently becoming a news reporter for a minor news company on Elympios. She has become much more of an adult since the events of Tales of Xillia, but has a tendency to get impatient with her work despite generally producing good results.
- Elize Lutus - Still close friends with Teepo, Elize is currently attending a school in Sharilton. She is no longer a shy little girl she was in Tales of Xillia, and is searching for a new way of life.
- Rowen J. Ilbert - Now Prime Minister for Reize Maxia he is the right hand man of King Gaius. He arrives in Elympios to devise a peace treaty between the two countries however he becomes a target for assassination by those in Elympios who do not agree with peace between the nations.
- Gaius - Having successfully united the nations of Rashugal and Auj Oule, he is the very first King of Reize Maxia. Along with his Prime Minister, Rowen Ilbert, he tries to bring peace to both his country and Elympios. He often travels about the world in disguise using his real name, Erston Outway, to learn of the needs of his people. He still very much upholds his mentality to "protect the weak".
- Muzét - Currently living with her younger Sister, Milla, in the Human world they returned to for reasons unknown, she cares deeply for her sister. She no longer holds any hostility toward other people and has a fun, playful and endearing personality. Also a Great Spirit with the ability to slice through Space, she is often ignorant of Human common sense which leads her to causing trouble on occasion.
On May 9 2012, Shonen Jump Magazine teased that a new Tales of game was being announced on June 2, 2012. As of May 14, 2012 Bandai Namco Games created a website that included a countdown to the date. Talking about the then unrevealed game, Hideo Baba said it was a more modern story in the Tales series and used the phrase "Are you prepared to destroy the world for the girl?" as a reference to the story of the game. On the date given in Shonen Jump, Tales of Xillia 2 was officially revealed along with the new characters and changes to the battle system from the previous game. Along with the reveal of the game, it was also slated to be released with an exclusive Dualshock 3 controller. The day following the release, the official website updated with the game's tagline "Sentaku ga Mirai wo Tsumugu RPG (選択が未来を紡ぐRPG, lit. "An RPG where your choices spin the future". Several weeks after the reveal, Baba confirmed the release date for the game in Japan to be November 1, 2012 during a live broadcast. The next month, July 18, Baba released a press statement saying that currently there were currently no plans to release the game outside of Japan but did express an interest in eventually releasing it in the West to go along with the localization of Tales of Xillia west-side. Between August 1 - 7 Famitsu hosted a poll for users to vote for the part of the game that they wanted most for the playable demo. The theme song for the game was confirmed to be "Song 4 U" by Ayumi Hamasaki.
On July 6, 2013 the game was confirmed to be localized for release in North America and Europe and along with it the slated release dates of August 19 and 22 respectfully.
Baba has confirmed that the idea of the story of Tales of Xillia 2 came about when thinking about the plot for Tales of Xillia and the idea that what has happened in the past can happen again in the future, history repeating itself. Due to the fact most of the lore concerning the world in Xillia has only been referred to in text, rather than actually having been seen, the decision was then made to greenlight a sequel to further explore the world. It was also at this point that the central theme of choices was born, and implemented in to the game to allow players to feel more connected with protagonist, Ludger. So far five concepts for alternate time lines have been revealed; A world where Leia Rolando was never born leading to a world that was relatively unchanged; a world where a Ludger Will Kresnik merely accepts the world's demise and continues to live a normal life; a world where Agria was never excommunicated from her noble household; a world where Jude Mathis was the enemy of Milla Maxwell; and a world where Reize Maxia is still at war.
 Downloadable Content
Any downloable content, such as costumes, that was available in Tales of Xillia is also available in Tales of Xillia 2, and the same is true for the reverse. As from the content provided by the first games, Xillia 2 has plenty of additional content of its own, such as new costumes for playable characters. Such costumes include:
- The Emil Castagnier costume for Ludger as a pre-order bonus
- First distribution of the game had a Yuri Lowell costume for Jude and an Asbel Lhant costume for Milla.
- On release date in Japan, a Code Geass costume was made available
- On November 8, 2012 additional hair styles were made available
- On November 15, 2012 a Puella Magi Madoka Magica costume set was released for for Milla, Elize, and Leia, a school theme costume set for Ludger, Gaius and Muzét and a set of doll attachments.
- On November 22, a Tales set for Ludger, Gaius, and Muzét was released to make them look like other characters from the previous Tales series. A hat set and an additional set of doll attachments were also released on that same day
 Image Gallery
Related ThreadsXillia 2 Coming West August 22, 2014 - last post by @ Jul 5, 2014
Xillia or Xillia 2 - last post by @ Sep 25, 2014
Tales of Xillia 2 Localization - last post by @ Sep 4, 2013
Xillia 2 confirmed! - last post by Fauve @ Sep 14, 2012
Affinity & Tales of Xillia 2 - last post by @ Sep 18, 2014